Friday, June 5, 2009

Ybor Cigars Plus ~ Handmade Cigars, Mojitos, and Live Music

After dinner and the Flamenco show at the Original Columbia Restaurant, we decided to have a walk to show James's parents a little more of Ybor City. Famous for cigar factories, I love the fact that Ybor still has shops and bars that roll cigars. As we were walking down 7th Avenue, we caught sight of the sign for Ybor Cigars Plus. I fell in love with the looks of the place and we were drawn in by the guy rolling cigars in the window. Ybor city is full of bars, something for everybody. This really appealed to me because it had the atmosphere of what I imagine a cafe in Cuba would really have. There was a good age mix all socializing together in this darkened, relaxed cafe drinking wine, espresso, beer, while a couple of people smoked cigars. The smoke wasn't too strong but added a nice warm scent. It was fascinating to watch how quickly the guy in the window could complete a cigar. All while he had a phone perched on his shoulder. He made it look so easy. I really would like to try someday, though I think it will probably take a few tries before I can do it half as well as this pro.
I ordered an espresso since I was driving and James had a glass of wine. You can't go to Ybor and not have a vice, and as I was vice-less that night, decided to have a cigar. Now here is my confession: I enjoy cigars. Not that I have them very often, really once ever 5+ years (probably more), but I really do enjoy the taste of a good quality cigar. The staff were very friendly and recommended the Robusto Maduro to compliment the coffee and wine. We were not disappointed. It had such a lovely flavor and was such a nice relaxing way to wind down. After about half of it we were finished, I had reached my limit. They were nice enough to cut the tip and packaged it up so we could take the rest with us for another day. Ybor Cigars Plus is such a friendly, welcoming cafe and was the perfect place to end our evening. I can't wait to go back.
Ybor Cigars Plus
1725 E. 7th Ave
Ybor City, FL 33605
813.516.3731

http://www.yborcigarsplus.com/
contacts@yborcigarsplus.com

6 comments:

kate said...

Oh my little girl all grown up and smoking cigars!!! Glad to hear Ybor is still booming, I havent been there in Years.
Best to you
kate

gina said...

Hi Amy looks like you had a great time. I have never had a cigar before and you make it look exciting. I have tagged you come by and see.

Unknown said...

Think I need to visit this place too!

Amy J said...

While I don't make this a routine habbit, I do enjoy on the odd occassion. It was a great night and I can't wait to go back. :-)

Unknown said...

Hello,

My name is Jordynn, and I am working with a friend to help him grow his cigar website called www.cigarsdirect.com. We feature some of the finest cigars in the world like Opus X, Padron, Anejo's plus many more! Our customer service is second to none and our online reputation proves it! I was hoping that you would take a look at our website and consider adding us to your links section on your website located:www.artichokesandlemonade.blogspot.com and in return we will give you free cigars!

Please let me know if this would be possible! Thanks again for your time and consideration!

Sincerely,

Jordynn Haskins
jordynnhaskins7@gmail.com

Swisher Sweets said...

I find handmade cigars very amazing because it is made by hand the quality are better. And I like watching cigar makers make my cigar.