Saturday, August 16, 2008

Drinks I Love: Is it Pimm's O'Clock?

During the past two years at the Highland Games, one of the highlights of the Sarasota British Club's tent was my version of Pimm's Cup. Not including our board, we caught a few attendees coming back for more!!! One lady in particular came back so many times that I ended up giving her just ginger ale with bits of cucumber and mint.

Pimm's No.1 is a Gin based beverage that is the color of tea and has a citrus/spice flavor. It is a popular summer drink in England, famously served at Wimbledon and the Henley Regatta, giving it the reputation of being an upper class drink. Fortunately, you don't have to be in England or even a member of the upper class to enjoy Pimm's. In the US, Pimm's No. 1 can be found at most larger liquor stores. (In the SRQ area, I've found it at Norman's, ABC, the Bottle Shop on St. Armand's, and Coastal Liquors)

Sprite or 7-up is traditionally used in the UK, however, I think it is much nicer with Ginger Ale. It is absolutely divine with Jamaican Ginger Beer. I made it for an event tonight featuring local celebrity, Cliff Roles, and had many compliments.

Here is my version of the summer time classic:
  • Mix together in large pitcher 1 part Pimm's No. 1 with 3 parts Ginger Ale.
  • Add to each glass 1 slice of orange, 2 slices of strawberry, 1 slice of halved cucumber and 1 sprig of mint.
  • Add a little ice to each glass and top up with Pimms mixture.
  • Enjoy, but be careful – it can catch up with you!

Here are the links to the official websites of Pimm's and Cliff Roles: http://www2.anyoneforpimms.com/ http://www.cliffroles.com/

4 comments:

Jane King said...

I love your pimms post its cool and the recipie for pimms. I am not a huge fan of ginger would i like it with ginger ale? Is it a strong ginger taste? Also i found CLiff Roles on Facebook and sent him a freinds request. Cliff rocks!! :-)

Amy J said...

It's not too strong with ginger ale, but you probably wouldn't like it with ginger beer.

That's funny, you're now part of the network :-) He was responcible for bringing Celine Dion to the Eurovision contest. There is a clip of it on his website.

Anonymous said...

My Goodness ... the wonders of modern technology (and Google!): Amy, Jane, thank you both so much for your kind words; I am honored to be on your blog, and relieved that the Pims and I didn't disapoint you!
Please say hi the next time that our paths cross.
Warmly,
Cliff

Anonymous said...

My Goodness ... the wonders of modern technology (and Google!): Amy, Jane, thank you both so much for your kind words; I am honored to be on your blog, and relieved that the Pimms and I didn't disappoint you!
Please say hi the next time that our paths cross.
Warmly,
Cliff