Thursday, January 29, 2009

Culinary Creations: Blueberry Preserves with a Hint of Lavender

Calling this a recipe would be a slight exaggeration. This is more of an alteration. A few years back I had the blissful Cottage Delight Wild Blueberry Preserve with a hint of Lavender, in its charming square kilner jar*. Not able to easily get it in the US, I was determined to make my own... sort of. My quick version is to take a jar of blueberry preserves, my favorite being Bonne Maman and add lavender. When I have used about a tablespoon of preserves, to give room to stir in the jar, I add about 1/2 to 3/4 tablespoon of dried organic lavender flowers. When mixed well, I left sit in the refrigerator for a week to let the flavors meld. It makes the most amazing treat to have on scones with clotted cream, toast, or in my case - with peanut butter on waffles. If you've never tried lavender in food before and are a little nervous, start with a small amount to see how you like it. You can always add more if you like the taste and want it a bit stronger.

*For the past 4 years, the kilner jar has served as the perfect container for my Maldon salt. It is my absolute, most favorite container in the kitchen.

6 comments:

gina said...

This looks Delish! I haven't tried Lavender in food but I sure do love the smell.

Anna Lloyd said...

This sounds like a great combo. Actually I think I've had something similar at a restaurant!

Jane King said...

Nice one! Have you tried lavender sugar yet? I keep meaning to make some and then use it in cup cakes to see how it tastes. Something else to add to the To Do list :)

Amy Jemima said...

Thanks :-) I haven't tried lavender sugar yet. You gave me the recipe, but I'm not sure what I did with it. That could be our challenge, to see who does it first? I've got a ton of lavender right now so I should do it. x

Anna - I don't usually eat peanut butter (sticks in your throat) and am not crazy about waffles but all together is divine. Breakfast is a struggle for me, so I'm always in search of new things. Your post fits right in with what I would eat!

Heather said...

I've always wandered if lavender could be used and an ingredient. Guess it can. I'm going to have to try using it this summer.

Amy Jemima said...

I highly recommend it! I've got several other lavender recipes that I like to make with lavender, and will try to do them over the next couple months. It does have quite a strong flavor, and is easy to over do, but with the balance right it is divine!!!