Saturday, January 24, 2009

Drinks I Love: Hendrick's Cucumber Gin and Tonic

Two summers ago while at the Trout in Oxford, I had the most exquisite Hendrick's Gin for the very first time. I was still fairly new to G&T's, but had discovered by that point that Bombay Sapphire was my favorite. But let me back up a little... the day: were visiting my sister-in-law and her beau and had set out for a walk around the outskirts of Oxford, stopping at various pubs along the way until we made it back to their house. Our first stop turned out to be a bit of a disappointment once we got there and realized that it had been burnt down to the ground. The Police tape going in should have been a sign. We pressed on taking in the lovely sights of Oxfordshire...until we came to the Trout. Located on the River Thames, it is a traditional country pub with a modern vibe. Immortalized by Inspector Morse, the Trout is the sort of pub you hope to visit when in England. With the sun coming out, we decided to sit out on the terrace to enjoy the views.
As it was getting warm, I wanted something refreshing. When I spotted "Hendrick's Cucumber Gin and Tonic" on the menu, I knew I had found just what I was craving. Hendrick's Gin is made in small batches, hand distilled in Scotland. It is infused with the essences of rose and cucumber. It has such a lovely, delicate, refreshing flavor. You really can taste the difference between Hendrick's and other mass produced gins. You can honestly taste the time and attention that goes into making this small batch gin. Garnished with a cucumber spear, I was in heaven.I hadn't had Hendrick's gin since that day at the Trout, but I was happy to find a bottle under my Christmas tree. The taste really took me back to that day sitting by the river in the sunshine, and what a nice tipple to end a hot Florida day.

2 comments:

Jane King said...

Wow this looks amazing i have NEVER heard of it!! am def going to have to try it i love g&t!!

Amy J said...

You would definintely love it! We've almost finished the bottle. Even the lable is fab. They have some great cocktail recipes on their website, but we've just had it with tonic, which I'm out of right now and am debating running out to pick some up...